About St. Paul
CREATION & THE FALL
Nothing in existence came into being by itself. God the Father is the creator and sustainer of everything, He is the Almighty Maker of heaven and earth. He created everything perfect, but man ruined His perfect creation. As a result, man lost the perfect visitation of God on earth. But God was not about to let man suffer without Him forever: He promised to send a redeemer for man’s sin.
Only a perfect man could reverse the fall. Only an almighty God could redeem an entire world of people from their sin. Jesus Christ, the eternal Son of God, is our Savior from sin and Savior from our separation from God. He redeemed us by paying the punishment for our sins and God the Father declares that we are justified. Jesus traded our sins and gave us His righteousness. He traded our death and gave us life.
The salvation Jesus won in His death on the cross is brought to us by the Holy Ghost through the Word and Sacraments. Because we are redeemed, does that mean we should continue in sin? Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it? Through Baptism and the Word of God, and the power of the Holy Spirit, we were buried with Christ into death, just as Christ was raised from the dead, we rise to new life and should walk daily in our new life. We go to church to thank God for all He has done for us, but more importantly, we gather as a group to continue to receive together the gifts of forgiveness, strength, hope, and salvation which God has promised to His entire church on earth.
About Our CORE VALUES
1. Faithful to God’s Word (Psalm 119; 2 Timothy 3:14-17; 2 John 2; 3 John 3)
2. Committed to Prayer (James 5:13-16; Psalm 50:15; 1 Chronicles 16:11; Matthew 7:7)
3. Integrity (Psalm 26:2-3; Proverbs 10:9; 11:3; Mark 12:14; Titus 2:7)
4. Caring/Family Focus (Acts 10:2; 1 Timothy 3:5; Ephesians 5:21-33; 6:1-4)
5. Contagious passion (Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 2:1-41; 2 Corinthians 11:16-29)
6. Creative / Engaging (Psalm 33:3; 40:3; 1 Corinthians 9:19-23; Acts 17:22-34)
About Our CORE EMPHASES
- Diverse worship services
- Seeking God’s Will through prayer
- Church Family (welcoming, friendliness, involvement)
- Children (St. Paul Pre-school) & Youth Program Opportunities
- Bible Focus
- Mission Outreach
- Care Ministry
- Opportunities to Serve Others
- New Member Instruction (AIM)
- Small Groups
- Quality Staff & Committed Lay Leadership
- Stewardship ($$ and time/talent)
- Unity within congregation (harmony & respect, “Can do attitude”)
About St. Paul Lutheran History
Our Beginning 1855 – Our first building was made in 1858 – 1890, then another one made in 1890 – 1915
Our Mission Pastors – These men planted the seeds of what was to become our congregation.
- Reverend F. Steinbach 1855-1857
- Several vacancy pastors (F. Lochner of Milwaukee and M. Guenther of Grafton) served Trinity Congregation until early in 1855 when the Rev. F. Steinbach was installed. Rev. Steinbach began traveling to serve the Lutherans scattered in and around our small community with weekly visits. Services were held each Sunday afternoon at various homes in the village.
- Reverend Daniel Stecher 1858
- Rev. Stecher replaced Rev. Steinbach in 1858. Various histories have given credit to Rev. Steinbach for starting our congregation while others have named Rev. Stecher, the man who replaced him at Trinity. Rev. Stecher served our people for a very short time in Sheboygan Falls since they were able to call their first resident pastor, Rev. Ernest Rolf 1858-1860
Early Childhood Center History: St. Paul started a 3 and 4-year-old Preschool in 1986 which was housed in the Education Center. In October 1997, it was moved to its present location in the 200 wing of the new facility. Over the years, the program has expanded to serve families by offering 2 sessions of 3-year-old Preschool, 2 sessions of 4K and Child Care was added September 1, 2009.
The Gathering Place History: St. Paul started The Gathering Place in April 2008, caring for persons with memory loss one day a week in the 100 wing of the church. In April 2009, we opened a second day each week. In December 2011, the third day opened. A fourth day was added at a satellite location, Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, in June 2017.
The 1900s – St. Paul Lutheran had two buildings made in 1915-1994, 621 Broadway in downtown Sheboygan Falls, then to our current 1995 building located at 730 County Road PPP.
2000 to Current – September 30, 2004, the 150th Anniversary Celebration Committee met for the first time. January 16, 2005, was chosen for the kickoff weekend. “St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, 150 Years of Blessings, Where Everybody is Somebody and Jesus Christ is Lord.”
- Reverend Thomas W. Vanderbilt 2001-2004 Associate Pastor
- Reverend Mark Janzen 2005-2018
- Reverend Kyle Backhaus 2018-Current Senior Pastor
- Reverend Rob Schrader 2021-Current Associate Pastor
- Emeritus Pastor Donald Hasse 2004
- Emeritus Pastor Tom Gudmundson 2021
Pastor on Call
Pastor Kyle is “On Call” during the first half of each month (1st – 15th) ext. 123
Pastor Rob is “On Call” during the last half of each month (16th – end) ext. 113
For emergencies during evenings and weekends, call 467-6449 and press 116 to be connected to the Pastor On Call.
Funerals & Weddings – May contact pastor of choice, however, if there is no preference, they will be assigned a pastor.
Baptisms – Pastor that is preaching for the week will typically officiate the baptism, both during services and private.
Directors & Office Staff
The Gathering Place Staff
Early Child Care Staff
Church Council Members-at-Large